My name is Mariel, and I am the Editor of Club Leo Scholastic’s Spanish and Bilingual Book Club for grades PreK–6.
Research shows that the more children read at home, in any language, the better they do in school.
Club Leo celebrates Hispanic culture and traditions all year-long, and we are always looking for ways to help you increase class participation and reach-out to every student and family. For this reason, I have created a Spanish/English letter that you can easily download here and send home with your students.
Like my colleagues, I am so excited about our September selections and I want to share a few of them with you! And we are also looking to hear from you! Which books would you like to see in Club Leo?
Some of My Personal Favorites:
- Si le das un pastelito a un gato (If You Give a Cat a Cupcake) by Favorite Author, Laura Numeroff Only $1…WOW!
- Library’s Secret/Secreto de la biblioteca: Bilingual Fantasy!
- A Cat and a Dog/Un perro y un gato: This cat and dog are learning to be friends! Bilingual!
- Best National Soccer Teams Pack: Perfect for your little soccer fans!
- Classic Multilingual Read Along: Clifford the Red Dog, A Bad Case of Stripes, How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?
Hispanic Authors Not to be Missed:
School Library Journal says: “Starred Review. Grade 4–9—Readers enter the creative, sensitive mind of Pablo Neruda, the Nobel Prize-winning poet, in this beautifully written fictional biography.”
- Stared review—Publishers Weekly
- “A nice splash of self-determination.” —Booklist. “Winning.”—New York Times
A poetic celebration of life in the Barrio—in the words of Quiara Hudes, author of the Tony Award-winning musical IN THE HEIGHTS.
Listen to an NPR interview with Quiara here.
Spanish Phonics & Language Skills:
- Stories of A-Z—Bestseller!
- Scholastic Phonic Readers Pack –Bestseller!
- My First Book of Spanish Words
- ABeCedario Salvaje